Biography[edit | edit source]
Originally from Wellington, New Zealand, Karl Urban now lives in Auckland. Born on June 7, 1972, he is the son of a leather-goods manufacturer (who had hoped that Karl would follow in his footsteps). His first acting role was when he was 8 -- he had a line on a television series. However, he did not act again until after high school. He was offered a role in the NZ soap opera Shortland Street (1992) as he was preparing to attend Victoria University.
After appearing on the series for the 1993-1994 season, he attended the university for one year, then left to pursue his acting career. Over the next few years, he landed several theater roles in the Wellington area. Eventually, he moved to Auckland, where a number of guest roles in NZ television followed. One of his first roles was that of a heroin addict in the drama series Shark in the Park (1989).
Other television roles followed, including a guest-starring role in the series White Fang (1993). Karl's biggest roles include Éomer in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, as well as Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy in Star Trek (2009) and its sequels, William Cooper in Red (2010), Judge Dredd in Dredd (2012) and Skurge in Thor: Ragnarok (2017).
Credits[edit | edit source]
Actor[edit | edit source]
Season 1[edit | edit source]
- "The Name of the Game" Billy Butcher
- "Cherry" Billy Butcher
- "Get Some" Billy Butcher
- "The Female of the Species" Billy Butcher
- "Good for the Soul" Billy Butcher
- "The Innocents" Billy Butcher
- "The Self-Preservation Society" Billy Butcher
- "You Found Me" Billy Butcher
Season 2[edit | edit source]
- "The Big Ride" Billy Butcher
- "Proper Preparation and Planning" Billy Butcher
- "Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men" Billy Butcher
- "Nothing Like It in the World" Billy Butcher
- "We Gotta Go Now" Billy Butcher
- "The Bloody Doors Off" Billy Butcher
- "Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker" Billy Butcher
- "What I Know" Billy Butcher