- For the Amazon version of the character, see Hughie Campbell.
- "I'm outta my depth. I'm sorry. There's no way I can do this or anythin' even like it. I can't even begin to imagine the kinda things you'd have to know how to do. I've got to... you know, I've got to try an' get on with everything."
- —Wee Hughie to Billy Butcher[src]
Hugh "Wee Hughie" Campbell is the main character of The Boys. A Scottish conspiracy theorist whose girlfriend, Robin, was accidentally killed by A-Train during a superhero battle, he was recruited by Billy Butcher to join The Boys soon after to manage and take down "supes". He worked alongside Butcher, Mother's Milk, the Frenchman, and the Female (of the Species).
Butcher injected Hughie with Compound V during their first mission, giving Hughie superhero powers but angering him nonetheless. He received superhuman strength and durability. While part of the team, he entered a romantic relationship with the supe Starlight.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Superhuman strength: After being injected with Compound V, Hughie has become strong enough to behead a man with a kick and punch a hole in the chest of the Blarney Cock.
- Superhuman durability: Hughie has been shown to survive punches from supes, sustaining only a bloody nose.
- Analytical thinking: Hughie has been shown to think in such a way that solving mysteries comes naturally to him. When working on a murder case, Butcher and the other Boys assumed the sexual identity of the killer was part of the motive, whereas Hughie was the first to ignore it entirely. This way of thinking likely comes from his knowledge of (and previous belief in) various conspiracy theories.
- Team player: Hughie works well with others and effectively follows orders, making him a great asset to The Boys.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Hughie was based on English actor Simon Pegg, particularly his characters in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. This resulted in Simon writing the introduction to the first TPB of The Boys.
- The Amazon version of Hughie is played by American actor Jack Quaid. While his nationality and appearance are drastically different, the basic everyman look and personality are maintained in that version.
- Another nickname for Hughie would be "Little" Hughie, a name given to him by Vas