- For the Amazon version of the character, see Homelander.
- "Why do you hate me so much? I don't mean your problem with super-people in general, or why your team has the agenda that it does. I mean why do you hate me? I can hear your heartbeat, you know. You can keep your face perfectly still, but can't stop your heart pounding along like that - and I know it's not from fear, I'd be able to smell it. It's anger."
- —Homelander to a steely Billy Butcher
The Homelander, first unofficially name John, is the central antagonist in the Dynamite comic series The Boys. He is the leader of The Seven, and the arch-nemesis of Billy Butcher, the leader of The Boys.
With the face of a movie star and the power of a god, Homelander is the greatest superhero alive and the leader of The Seven. Not only can he fly, but he also has super strength and super hearing, and he can see through almost anything with his x-ray vision and then destroy it with his laser eyes.
On the surface, he’s affable, modest, and sincere; the ultimate Boy Scout, an American treasure, a God-fearing patriot. But just like mere mortals, even superheroes have secrets.
History[edit | edit source]
Homelander was experimented on with Compound V, before birth, as a subject of Vought-American's experiments with Compound V, like much of the other Supes managed by Vought. As a result, he has developed abilities such as super strength, heat and x-ray vision, sonic scream and flight. At a young age, in Vought's experiments, he was tied to a nuclear bomb, in case his aggression got out of control. To the public, in a cover-up of the truth, his origin was claimed as "crash-landed on Earth", like of DC Comics' Superman Homelander became the leader of the Seven and one of the most powerful superheroes of Vought-American.
He was thought to be the one who raped Butcher's wife and got her pregnant, ultimately resulting in her death. It is later revealed Black Noir was the rapist. After being driven crazy, by being blackmailed by Butcher and finding out Noir did it, with the fact Noir was a clone of him, created by Vought to spy on him and kill him if need be. Enraged, he attempted to kill Noir, only to be killed by his clone, in a bloody fight during the takeover of the White House, with only his chest and arms being what's left of him, held by Noir.
Relationship[edit | edit source]
Allies[edit | edit source]
Enemies[edit | edit source]
Powers and Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Superhuman Strength: One of Homelander's primary abilities is his tremendous superhuman strength. He possesses the greatest level of strength ever seen, allowing him to effortlessly overpower any opponent. During the "I Tell You No Lie, G.I." storyline, the events of 9/11 seem to suggest that he is unable to use his full strength in flight, requiring a solid surface to take full advantage of his power.
- Invulnerability: Homelander seems to be immune to the majority of forms of physical harm and is thereby the most resilient of the Seven, and possibly of all Supes. As such, he is not only completely bulletproof, but is also unfazed by explosions. The only thing capable of destroying him in the end was his own clone.
- Superhuman Stamina: Homelander possesses stamina that is enhanced to inhuman levels. As a result, his muscles produce practically no fatigue toxins during physical activity. They are able to withstand the stresses of moving at superhuman speeds or performing other superhuman feats for extended periods of time, without tiring or becoming weak.
- Heat Vision: Homelander is able to generate powerful heat energy from within his eyes and can project them outwards as high powered energy beams. These blasts of energy are so powerful that they appear to be able to cut through anything. However, Homelander is most notable for using his optical beams on people, melting flesh and bone with ease and causing people to burst into gore.
- X-Ray Vision: Homelander's vision allows him to see through any solid object or surface.
- Superhuman Hearing: Homelander possesses tremendous auditory awareness, allowing him to detect sounds from miles away. He can also use this power to detect a person's heartbeat, and can tell when they are excited or anxious, such as when he detected Billy Butcher's blood pressure to try and determine his motives.
- Superhuman Smell: Homelander's sense of smell has been heightened far beyond normal human capabilities, allowing him to smell things no other being could. He can use this power to detect an explosive, or to sense adrenaline produced by fear.
- Flight: Homelander is able to levitate and propel himself at great speeds, allowing him to cover vast distances in a matter of minutes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- He is a parody both of Captain America appearances and Superman's iconic power.
- His name literally means "A person from one's homeland". It is suggested that the homeland he's born from would be America (due to his outfit).
- The Amazon version of the character, played by Antony Starr, is almost completely identical to his comic counterpart, save for a more herculean physique as opposed to being built like a tank, and a slightly altered costume to make him look almost like Ultraman and Hyperion.