- "I mean, no one's gonna take a nail through the hand like I can."
- —Gecko to Annie, reminiscing his role as Jesus in the Capes for Christ Bible Camp play.[src]
The Boys Series[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
During his childhood, Gecko was good friends with Annie January. They attended the Capes for Christ Bible Camp lead by Ezekiel where they put on a Passion Play in which Gecko portrayed Jesus and Annie portrayed Mary.
Sometime later, he was hired by Vought International to work in the labs on 67th in Vought Tower where he is used as a lab rat for scientists to perform tests on his regenerative body. He also secretly became an S&M hooker to make extra money on the side.
When Hughie Campbell meets up with Annie on a subway, he hands her a paper with a photo of Gecko on it, hinting that he is the target for a secret mission and Annie needs to track him down. She recognizes him from her childhood, but she takes the paper and agrees to find him. After tracking down Gecko, she records him in a hotel room letting someone hack his arm off in exchange for money. His arm regenerates instantly, demonstrating his Supe power.
Later, Annie finds Gecko again at a diner and chats him up as if it’s a casual run in. She asks him for a favor - to go into 67th to steal her a sample of Compound V. He pretends not to know what that is, at first. He tells her it’s impossible to get but she threatens him and says he has to or if not she’ll reveal that he is an S&M hooker. Gecko pleads with her that they were friends, but Annie just denies it saying they're not anything.
Later on, Gecko tracks down Starlight and reluctantly gives her a sample of Compound V. Starlight wants it later, but Gecko refuses and forces her to accept it now. He then walks away and tells her that he wants nothing else to do with her.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Gecko is a nice, nerdy guy who seems to mean well. When Annie approaches him in the diner, Gecko seems genuinely happy to see her and congratulates her for her successful career in The Seven. He also hints that he even had a crush on Annie back when they were kids. However, after she blackmails him into getting Compound V for her, Gecko appears to be deeply distraught over her betrayal, later stating that if she ever threatens him again, he will make sure everyone knows that she stole the sample of Compound V.
Powers and Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Gecko has great healing abilities, and can regrow his body parts as soon as they're severed.
- Pain Suppression: Gecko is either completely immune to pain, or has developed a great tolerance for it, as he barely even reacts to his arm being chopped off.
- Superhuman durability: Mathew’s arm needed some attacks to be fully chopped
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
- Damage: Too much damage may exceed the rate or extent of his regeneration.
- Damage to the brain/head: Decapitation/destroying his brain can kill him instantly.
- Pain Inducement: Is not immune to people who can induce pain telekinetically.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Gecko's home address is 1683 Pearl Street, Apt. B in Brooklyn, New York.
- Gecko’s name is a clear reference to the reptile. They too have the uncanny ability to grow back lost limbs and heal at fast paces.
- Gecko is possibly inspired by Marvel Comic's Deadpool, both having Regenerative Healing Factor and being Super-heroes for hire, but having completely different line of work.
- Gecko is possibly bisexual