- For the Dynamite version of the character, see Frenchie/Comics.
- "You just dropped the Moby fucking Dick of problems on my plate, that's what I think."
- —Frenchie to Billy Butcher[src]
Frenchie (real name Serge) is one of the three tritagonists (alongside Mother's Milk and The Female) of the Amazon series The Boys and a member of the vigilante group, The Boys. Despite his name, he is actually French - Algerian.
A drug-dabbling, gunrunning jack-of-all-trades, Frenchie’s skillsets are an invaluable resource to Butcher and The Boys, but his impulsive decisions are an eternal source of frustration to Mother's Milk. Frenchie’s got a history as a killer-for-hire — and those jobs, and the human faces behind them, have always stayed with him, like scars. But he’ll rediscover his humanity when he finds a woman locked in a cage in a basement who’s part of a larger mystery, and Frenchie is the only one of The Boys who’s able to connect with her.
The Boys Series
Not much is known about Serge's early life, but he claims to have had a rough upbringing. He is of French - Algerian descent.
Serge claims that his father was bipolar and that when he was ten-years-old, his father tried to smother him with a Hello Kitty duvet. While living in Marseille, his father kidnapped Serge in the middle of the night from his mother and kept him with him for years, living from one hotel to another. Every few nights, he would take him out for a walk to smoke a cigarette and tell him he loved him. However, he would also burn him with the cigarettes. Serge made many attempts to run away, jumping buses and trains or anything to return to his mother, but he was found by his father every time. When Serge moved to New York, he was alone, living in a homeless shelter. During that time, Serge would watch The Golden Girls on the shelter's "shitty TV" from 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. every day. He claims that the show kept him company and inspired him to "make his own family".
- "No. Those saucy ladies, they made their own family. So I did what they did. You are my Blanche. And Jay... you are.. my Dorothy."
"Mhmm.. 'Cause you're a little gay. Yeah."
"So you're Betty White?"
"Oh, what a fucking question. Of course I'm Betty White."
- —Serge, Cherie, and Jay, talking about The Golden Girls.[src]
By 2012, Serge and his close friends, Cherie and Jay, would spend most of their time either getting high or pulling crime heists. He would also create elaborate weapons that he would use on supes if they tried to stop him during his heists. The law eventually caught up to Serge and his friends when they were arrested during their bank heist.
- "Weaponized Xanax. The grenades you used on Behemoth during the bank heist. You got a supe activated by rage, so you simply take away his rage, turn him into a cupcake. Clever."
- —Grace Mallory to Serge, impressed by his skills to counter supe's powers.[src]
While Serge was in custody, he was approached by Grace Mallory who was impressed by his abilities to make weapons and gadgets that counter a supe's power. Mallory offered him a choice, either rot for in a prison for 25 years, or come to work for her. Serge refused her offer, so Mallory made a different offer. She then threatened to send Cherie and Jay to a super maximum prison, ADX Florence, unless Frenchie S2E6Frenchie-3.pngreconsidered her offer. Serge called it a bluff, but Mallory only assured him it isn't. While Mallory proceeded to leave the room, Serge stopped her to ask what kind of work she does.
- "Oh, the bachelor party I will throw you. What's your thoughts about transgender strippers?"
"Strippers ain't really my kind of Hershey's, with or without nuts, but you golf? Thinking about doing a golf trip."
- —Frenchie and Mother's Milk, planning the latter's bachelor party.[src]
In 2015, Serge, now primarily referred to by his nickname "Frenchie", was a full fledged member of The Boys alongside Grace Mallory, Billy Butcher, and Mother's Milk. While waiting in an abandoned warehouse for Lamplighter to arrive, Frenchie and Mallory congratulated M.M. for proposing to Monique. Frenchie jokingly offered to help plan M.M.'s bachelor party. When Lamplighter finally arrived to meet with the Boys, they all laughed at his costume design. Mallory proceeded to blackmail Lamplighter into being their informant and feed them information about The Seven. Lamplighter reluctantly agreed, however, Mallory was suspicious of him and asked Frenchie to follow Lamplighter.
- "My, uh.. my best friend OD'd and I left to save him that night. Why I didn't stop you. You were at a party. I was away for 30 minutes. Came back, you were gone."
"Did he live? Your friend?"
"Oui. But I never saw him again, and.. then, uh, he died a few months later. Another overdose."
- —Frenchie and Lamplighter, recalling what happened that night.[src]
Frenchie followed Lamplighter to a party before receiving a call from Cherie, telling him Jay was overdosing on an unknown substance. Hesitantly, Frenchie abandoned his position in order to go help Jay. Frenchie was successful in saving Jay, however, when he returned to the party, Lamplighter was gone. Frenchie would later find out that Lamplighter burned Mallory's grandchildren to ash. This incident devastated Frenchie, feeling that Mallory's grandchildren died because of him. To add insult to injury, Frenchie would never see his friend Jay again due to his death from another overdose a few months later. Frenchie never told anyone why he "let" Lamplighter go, causing a rift between him and M.M.'s relationship after The Boys were disbanded.
Approached by Butcher
- "Go away. Get him out of here."
"Alright, alright, easy."
"He's chipped. The Supes could be on their way. Homelander could be on his way right now."
- —Frenchie and Billy Butcher[src]
Five years later, Frenchie is approached by Billy Butcher and Hughie Campbell after they kidnapped Translucent. Initially, Frenchie appears amiable seeing his old colleague, though, under the notion that Butcher was there to pay him the $40,000 he owes him. Butcher proposes an offer to Frenchie that would double his money if he helps him with a job. When Frenchie opens the trunk of Butcher's car to find the invisible member of The Seven, Translucent, Frenchie freaks out. He pulls a gun on Butcher, telling him that Translucent is chipped and the Seven could be on their way. Butcher tells Frenchie that this is his problem just as much as it is theirs since Translucent has seen his face. Butcher then emphasizes that he is not leaving until Frenchie agrees to help them or until the Seven shows up. Reluctantly, Frenchie agrees to help Butcher and Hughie.
- "Okay? He can re-order his carbon on his skin into metamaterial. It's hard as diamonds. It's nearly impossible to penetrate."
"Alright, how 'bout we suffocate him?"
"Some Dominicans already tried this, way back in '07."
"And what happened?"
"They're all fucking dead now. That's what happened."
"Alright, then, fuck it, electrocution. We'll just increase the amps."
"You already hit him with enough to drop a water buffalo, and look. Might knock him out. Doesn't seem to kill him, huh? No. We need to pierce the skin somehow."
Well, how the hell are we gonna do that?
"I don't know."
- —Frenchie and Butcher discussing how to kill Translucent.[src]
After covering the walls and ceiling with foil, Frenchie, Billy and Hughie trap Translucent in an electrified cage in the basement of a boarded-up Tony Cicero's restaurant. Frenchie is annoyed that Billy has burdened him with this problem. He says that Translucent's skin is impenetrable, making him hard to kill. Hughie is shocked to hear that they're thinking of killing Translucent. Frenchie works on creating a bullet coated in the same material of Translucent's skin, in hopes that it will be enough to penetrate his skin and kill him. Billy fires the shot, however, it bounces off his skin, and Translucent laughs, cheerfully claiming that he's invincible and it is only a matter of time until The Seven come for him. Unnoticed, the bullet damaged the foil shielding on the ceiling. Frenchie offers Hughie MDMA and LSD to calm him, which Hughie refuses. Frenchie reveals that he works in quite a few fields, but is a gun-runner by trade. He says that for the most part, he tries to figure out ways to kill Supes.
- "I'm not ashamed to admit I have outdone myself. Now, the problem is the skin, no? It's, uh, hard like diamonds. But then I realized, it's just your shell that is hard, huh? Like a turtle. But your insides... they're like the rest of ours... soft. So, how do you get into the... squishy insides? Through the mouth? No. The stomach acid, the gag reflex. If I stick something down your throat, you may vomit it up. There's truly only one way..."
"The fuck did you do to me?"
"He stuck a lump of plastique up your bum, son."
- —Frenchie, Translucent and Butcher, after Frenchie planted a bomb inside Translucent.[src]
While Butcher continues to come up with a way to penetrate Translucent's skin, Frenchie watches a documentary about turtles on the TV, which gives him the realization that Translucent has a tough shell, like a turtle, but his insides are like a normal human. Frenchie proceeds to pick up the taser to "shock their invisible friend" because he needs him unconscious. After rendering Translucent unconscious, Frenchie sticks a bomb in his rectum that can be triggered by remote detonator. When Translucents regains consciousness, Frenchie reveals what he had done to him, causing Translucent to panic. Translucent quickly begins bargaining for his life by telling them about A-Train, revealing that the day he killed Robin, he was coming from Popclaw's apartment.
Before they can get any more information out of Translucent, Frenchie learns that Homelander is nearby, which frightens Hughie. Frenchie warns that pulling the detonator will alert Homelander to their location. Homelander confronts Frenchie, while Translucent escapes from his cage but is threatened by Hughie. Billy remotely triggers an explosion at Frenchie's place nearby, drawing Homelander to investigate. In the basement, fearing Translucent would wreck everything, Hughie presses the detonator, blowing Translucent to pieces.
After Translucent's death at the hands of Hughie, Butcher brings back Mother's Milk against Frenchie's wishes. Both M.M. and Frenchie refuse to work with each other due to past events, but are able to reconcile their differences as they monitor Popclaw and A-Train in Get Some.
Uncovering Compound V
Butcher and The Boys watch Popclaw and A-Train through the hacked computer connection. A-Train frets about losing the race tomorrow, revealing that Stillwell told him he is out of The Seven if he loses. A-Train considers using Compound V, when Popclaw says that the last time he used the substance he ran through Robin Ward. Popclaw is furious with A-Train after he says that she cannot go to the race with him tomorrow. She wants their relationship to be publicly known, but that requires Stillwell's permission, which A-Train refuses to request. Butcher decides that they must steal some of the substance for Frenchie to analyze.
Meeting the Female
- "She looked innocent."
"Innocent? She's locked up in a cage, underground, with two armed guards!"
"I had a feeling about her."
- —Frenchie and Mother's Milk[src]
Frenchie, Hughie Campbell and Mother's Milk, follow him to small grocery store. There, they discover a secret hideout for Asian gangsters in the basement. After sneaking past the gangsters, M.M. and Hughie look through the boxes in a storage room to find the Compound V. Frenchie, however, hears loud Japanese music and discovers The Female in a cell, sitting underneath a table, watching a Japanese television show. Frenchie insists that they should free her, but M.M. says that they should find the Compound V and leave before the gangsters find them.
The Boys Get Burned
Mother's Milk mentions that Frenchie was supposed to tail Lamplighter, and because he didn't, Mallory's grandkids were killed. In You Found Me, Grace Mallory mentions that Lamplighter killed her grandchildren, forcing her to leave the CIA.
Captivity and Breakout
- "Well, you know, in, uh, medieval times, they locked prisoners inside a pillory barrel. Then they'd kneel in their own excrement until they got sepsis and died, so..."
"Thank you, Frenchie, for that disgusting yet fascinating piece of trivia."
"I'm just saying it could be worse, huh?"
- —Frenchie passing the time while in lock up.[src]
Frenchie and Mother's Milk pass the time in lock up with Frenchie talking about medieval imprisonment. Frenchie then asks M.M. why he didn't tell The Boys he had a daughter. Mother's Milk explains that his daughter is one of the few good things he did and he didn't want her knowing about his vendetta and association with The Boys. Frenchie understands his motives and his pleased when M.M. opens to Kimiko and expresses concern for her.
- "Never has a man thrown his life away so... completely like you've thrown yours away today. No... no, what I mean is, you rescuing usis the most useless, futile gesture I can think of."
- —Frenchie taunting Hughie's Jail break attempt[src]
Hughie is arrested and put in a cell alongside Mother's Milk and Frenchie. The two question Hughie if he knows about Butcher, Hughie assures them that Butcher abandon them in his pursuit for Homelander. Hughie also assures them that he came to rescue them, Frenchie kiss him on the cheek and taunts his weak but brave rescue attempt. Hughie then tells them he snuck his 12th grade retainer and wants Frenchie to use it as a lock pick. However there are complications as the retainer is stuck to the roof of his mouth and Frenchie can't seem to remove it. M.M. then proposes that he is going to have to knock the retainer out of his mouth, without warning, M.M. knocks the retainer out of Hughie's mouth. Frenchie uses it to escape and The Boys knock out the guards and take their guns. The Boys continue moving through the facility, looking for Kimiko. Frenchie finds her and stares at her, however guards arrive and shoot Frenchie in the shoulder. M.M. escorts Frenchie behind cover. M.M. and Frenchie stare at each other, and Mother's Milk begrudgingly runs out of cover to help free Kimiko while Hughie provides cover fire. When the shooting stops, Frenchie leaves cover and calls out for M.M., relieved to see him carrying Kimiko over his shoulders. Hughie runs out of ammo and the Boys are cornered by guards telling them to put their hands on their heads and turn around.
The Boys are rescued by Starlight, who neutralizes the guards. Frenchie and M.M. carry Kimiko to a garage door and leave the facility. Before Hughie and Starlight can join them, they are distracted by the arrival of A-Train. Hughie closes the garage door and tells them to leave and that he won't be far behind them.
Finding the Supe-Terrorist
Frenchie and the boys hide with a gang, the (Clarkson Avenue) Haitian Kings. There, Frenchie deals with gang business and helps the Female in teaching her to write English. When one of the gang members returns with every bone in his arm shattered, Frenchie questions the gang members about the injury. To which he translates back to The Boys that the members were secretly transporting a Supe-Terrorist. Kimiko attempts to tell Frenchie more about the terrorist however she is unable to, due to her limited knowledge on writing in English, this leaves Frenchie puzzled at why she keeps writing the word "Boy". Later, when the Boys track the terrorist to a costume shop, Kimiko embraces him. Frenchie then figures out the Terrorist is Kimiko's brother, Kenji, and the whole time he was the "boy" she was referring to. Later when they transport Kenji prisoner to a rendezvous point, Frenchie attempts to bond with Kenji while giving him Doritos and an energy drink. Frenchie asks Kenji about their custom sign language him and his sister use, to which Kenji reveals it's origin that him and Kimiko made it after Kimiko went mute when their mother died. However, when Frenchie requests Kenji to teach him their sign language, Kenji only declines his offer.
Very Bitter Reunions
Frenchie, Mother's Milk, and The Female infiltrate Sage Grove psychiatric hospital in an attempt to find more information about Stormfront and Vought. While there, they see the hospital is keeping adult Supes imprisoned there. Furthermore, they watch Stormfront and a nurse with one of the patients, Tim, however when Tim refuses to train his powers unless he can see his family the nurse burns Tim. Frenchie and M.M. recognize the power and deduce that the nurse is Lamplighter. When Stormfront leaves, the three attempt to sneak out, however Lamplighter recognizes Frenchie and attacks them, unintentionally freeing a telekinetic prisoner, Cindy. Cindy frees most of the patients, while The Boys and Lamplighter lock themselves in an office. Both members stuck in a standoff threatening each other. Lamplighter explains the facility is in lock down and he can disable it so he can escape, but he refuses to tell them the access code or take them with him until an acid vomiting patient breaks into their room and nearly melts lamplighter. Kimiko knocks the patient off of Lamplighter and kills him, while Lamplighter then changes his mind and agrees to help the Boys. While in a storage closest, Frenchie questions Lamplighter why The Seven didn't hunt the The Boys down after he burned the grandchildren. Lamplighter answers that he didn't boast like Frenchie thought he did, Frenchie then realizes that Lamplighter never told Vought or the Seven the truth about Mallory's grandchildren. Lamplighter reveals he was really sent to assassinate Grace, but her grandchildren were the ones in the bed. Lamplighter then questions Frenchie about why he didn't stop him, Frenchie reveals to Lamplighter and to Mother's Milk that he stopped following him in order to save his friend Jay. Mother's Milk then questions Frenchie about why he didn't tell anyone, Frenchie believes that it wouldn't make a difference and that he got what he deserved from the others. After Lamplighter vouches for The Boys to Stormfront, they escort him voluntary to Grace. While they wait, Frenchie apologizes to Kimiko for trying to make her into something she isn't and for forcing his "help" upon her. When Grace arrives, she pulls a gun out at Lamplighter and states she still wants to kill him, however Frenchie discourages her stating he more than anyone else would want to kill Lamplighter, and even then he has forgiven him. Frenchie is successful in convincing Grace to stand down.
- "I carry... I carry them all with me. It's like scars in a way, you know?"
- —Frenchie to Hughie Campbell[src]
Despite his troubled past, Frenchie is an extremely empathetic character, and cares very deeply for the well-being of his allies. He also proves to be the most intelligent member of the group, with the widest skill-set. He is a multi-talented criminal with knowledge of many criminal endeavors, whether it's producing drugs, smuggling weapons, breaking and entering, break-ins and lying to authorities. He's so talented at the latter that he was able to flawlessly fool Homelander, despite his great power.
He seems to be psychedelics enthusiast, as when Hughie is panicking about keeping Translucent as a prisoner, Frenchie offers him an LSD/MDMA cocktail to calm his nerves. In his spare time he seems to enjoy baking pastries and other French dishes and is stable enough to coach Kimiko.
Frenchie claims he carries the memory of each person he has killed with him, and in one of his conversations with Hughie he implies that he feels quite guilty about his past as a hit man. He later tells Mother’s Milk that he feels Kimiko makes him a better person, implying this is part of his motivation for helping her. His association with Kimiko has also given him a certain degree of fluency in Japanese Sign Language.
In the comics
In the comic series, Frenchie goes by the name The Frenchman and is one of the two powerhouses of the Boys — the other being Female of the Species. He is described as having a strong connection with both Female and Billy, however, he has killer instincts and his anger is hard to reign in once provoked. Similar to Female of the Species, the Frenchman's use of Compound V has given him abilities such as increased strength, smell and increased durability. Frenchie was born in a small village in the Pyrenees that spoke its own unique dialect of French. When he returned from an unspecified war, he discovered that his girlfriend had been stolen by Black Pierre, his childhood rival. Frenchie's parents urged him to compete against Black Pierre in the upcoming festival where disputes are settled by the contestants jousting against each other on bicycles with baguettes. Having developed a pacifist outlook on life due to the war, Frenchie refused, so his father decided to joust against Black Pierre instead to defend the family honor. Black Pierre, however, plays dirty by jamming a croissant into the wheel of Frenche's father's bicycle. Frenchie's father was killed in the resulting crash, while his mother died a short time later from grief. Blaming himself for his parents' deaths, Frenchie killed Black Pierre in revenge and left the village. He was recruited by Butcher about a year later. Frenchie has a close relationship with the Female, and does his best to temper her murderous tendencies. Towards the end of the series, both are killed by a bomb planted by Butcher. Shortly before the bomb detonates, Frenchie confesses his love for the Female.
- Gifted Intelligence: Frenchie was described by Butcher as a "top man," while he himself claims to "know a little about a lot of things," included (but not limited to) chemistry and engineering. He is a gunrunner by trade, but he has developed a certain niche for incapacitating superheroes; when Butcher came to him for help in killing Translucent, he originally coated a round in the same carbon metamaterial as the supe's skin, and when that failed, he put a plastic explosive inside Translucent. He was recruited by Grace Mallory for his imagination after he designed a xanax grenade to take down Behemoth during a heist. He offered an LSD/MDMA pill to Hughie for his anxiety. He is a skilled thief, being able to pick a lock with anything; he used the premium metal wire in Hughie's retainer to escape their confinement. Frenchie is also trilingual, as he speaks English, his native French, and he learned a variation of sign language from Kimiko.
- Skilled Marksman: As a gunrunner, Frenchie is skilled in the use of firearms.
- Skilled Combatant: Frenchie has some skill in fighting, as he went toe-to-toe with Mother's Milk in the mall.
- Stealth: Frenchie was able to quietly rappel into A-Train's locker room from the vents.
- Ruger SP101: Frenchie held a revolver to Butcher's chin when they reunited.
- Colt M4A1: In his safehouse, Frenchie field stripped a rifle with standard cylindrical handguards.
- FN SCAR-L CQC: Frenchie keeps another rifle in his safehouse arsenal.
- Steyr AUG: Frenchie keeps another rifle in his safehouse arsenal.
- AK-47: Frenchie keeps several more rifles in his safehouse arsenal.
- IMI Tavor TAR-21: Frenchie gave a rifle fitted with a Meprolight M5 red dot sight to Mother's Milk.
- Remington 870: Frenchie keeps two shotguns in his safehouse arsenal.
- OTF Switchblade Knife: Frenchie drew this knife during a confrontation with M.M.
- The actor who plays Frenchie is not actually French in real life.
- Frenchie bares some similarities with the Marvel superhero Gambit.
- Both have a similar French accent.
- Both were kidnapped as children.
- Frenchie is an expert in explosives and is able to create explosive bombs from seemingly anything, similar to how Gambit is able to channel his kinetic energy into any object.
- Frenchie’s relationship with The Female is similar to Gambit’s relationship with Marvel super heroine Rogue.
- Frenchie’s responsibility for the death of Mallory’s grandchildren is similar to the Mutant Massacre that Gambit was partially responsible for.
|TV series The Boys members|
|Billy Butcher • Mother's Milk • Frenchie • The Female • Hughie Campbell|