"I'm A-Train. I'm the fastest fucking man alive!" ― A-Train[source]
A-Train is one of the main characters in the Amazon series The Boys. He is a speedster who used to be a part of a team known as Teenage Kix but is now a member of The Seven. He inadvertently killed Robin Ward (Hughie Campbell's girlfriend) with his powers while high on Compound V.
A-Train is a member of The Seven and the fastest man in the world but underneath the cavalier exterior of a celebrity superhero, lies the soul of a mortal athlete with a deep insecurity about staying at the top. He’ll do whatever it takes to remain in The Seven, because he knows it’s only a matter of time until a younger, faster challenger takes his place — and that’s a problem even the fastest man in the world can’t outrun.
Compound V AbuseEdit
A-Train has a history of abusing Compound V — a chemical substance engineered by Vought International — to ensure he is the fastest speedster in the world. This abuse, however, comes at a price when he accidentally kills Robin Ward, by running through her. Vought covers the incident up, however at a press conference revealing that A-Train was attending a bank robbery. Vought offers Hughie Campbell compensation for A-Train's mistake, but Hughie is reluctant to take it, turning to Billy Butcher and The Boys for revenge.
A-Train's abuse continues, however, as his race with Shockwave approaches in Get Some, he juices up again despite warnings from girlfriend Popclaw. The Compound V ensures he is, yet again, the fastest speedster on Earth, gaining positive publicity for Vought. Despite warnings from Vought and his brother, Nathan, A-Train abuses Compound V yet again to heal his leg after an encounter with The Female, which leaves his leg shattered.
Relationship with PopclawEdit
A-Train's relationship with Popclaw is rocky, with him refusing to ask for Madelyn Stillwell's permission for them to take the relationship public. She is against his continued use of Compound V, warning him that he does not need it to be the fastest out there; something she refuses to admit, however.
The relationship between the two becomes strained after Butcher and The Boys blackmail Popclaw into revealing information about A-Train's Compound V runs — information that eventually leads to multiple deaths. A-Train confronts Popclaw, asking who she revealed the information to, however she is reluctant to admit. Much to his dismay, A-Train has no choice but to kill Popclaw in Good for the Soul.
In the comic series, A-Train is a speedster and a close ally to Homelander; he was recruited by The Seven after leaving Teenage Kix, as a replacement for Marathon, the group's original speedster who was killed on 9/11 when The Seven botched a plane rescue. He first appears after accidentally killing Hughie Campbell's girlfriend while chasing a criminal. As a member of the Seven, he is kept in check by Homelander after harassing Starlight. Despite having superhuman speed, he has little control over his abilities. Due to being a newer member and because of his immaturity, A-Train is not respected by the rest of The Seven, with his only real friend being Jack from Jupiter, whom A-Train later sides against when Jack is blackmailed. He is killed by Hugh for Robin's death and after it revealed he and the Seven only hired Starlight to sexually assault her.
Powers and Abilities Edit
"Maybe I can't turn invisible, but I am the world's fastest man. Like, I can outrun anybody or anything." ― A-Train to Colby[source]
- Superhuman Speed: As the self-proclaimed "world's fastest man" and described as "a fierce competitor" by Shockwave, A-Train is able to move at inhuman speeds, appearing as a distorted blur of motion to onlookers. This allows him to run across entire city blocks in mere seconds. This ability is something that A-Train can sometimes not control, and he accidentally killed Robin, Hughie's girlfriend by running into her, which reduced her to a shower of blood and made him accidentally swallow one of her molars. He additionally could use this speed as a weapon, such as when he repeatedly smashed the Female's head against a wall.
- Accelerated Perception: While traveling at high speeds, A-Train is able to perceive the world around him as though it is standing still. While in a fight with Starlight, he was able to see her energy blasts and dodge them before they had a chance to hit him.
- Superhuman Metabolism: A-Train possesses a highly efficient and incredibly quick metabolism. While working out, he had to consume 3000 calories to maintain his energy without passing out.
- Superhuman Strength: A-Train possesses superhuman strength, which he used to slam the Female through a wall in the train tunnels. His strength also allowed him to slowly pull a several-carriage train, and trade blows with as well as knock around Starlight several feet through the air, another individual who also possesses enhanced strength.
- Superhuman Durability: A-Train was able to withstand the superhuman strength of another super, Starlight, without issue.
- He has his own brand of beer called Speeding Bullet Ale and his own cereal called Frosted A-Trains.